The call for target grant applications aimed at solving the problems caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus is open to researchers from 1 July to 15 July 2020.
The applications can be submitted via the Estonian Research Information System ETIS.
Target grants support applied research and experimental development projects for developing the prototypes for innovative solutions, products, and services in five thematic areas:
- materials and surface treatment agents inhibiting the spread of the virus;
- new types of personal protective equipment;
- technological solutions for the reduction of virus particles in indoor air;
- technological solutions to reduce the workload on the health care sector;
- solutions based on data analysis to assess the spread of the virus and to predict the impact of the measures.
The thematic areas of the call have been defined by the Ministry of Education and Research, based on the outcomes of the idea collection on COVID-19 and its impact, which was organised by the Estonian Research Council. Both the researchers and research groups who participated in the idea collection as well as those who did not submit their idea, and have the capability to develop the outcomes of their previous research to the necessary level of applicability within a short period of time, are welcome to apply.
In July and in August, the technical details of the applications will be checked, suitable applications will be accepted, and the reviewing process will take place. The funding decisions should be made by mid-September at the latest. The projects which will receive funding have to begin this year and achieve the outcomes by the end of next year.
The funding for target grants will come from the supplementary state budget.
Head of the Department of Research Funding
+372 731 7381/+372 5342 0639